GREEN CHILE RICE
5 - 6 servings
2 cups freshly cooked rice (instructions below)
2 Tablespoons butter
½ cup chopped onion
1 cup sour cream
½ cup cottage cheese
1 small bay leaf, crumbled
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons cumin
1 half pint (2/3 cup) home canned pueblo or hatch chilies, drained
…….or 2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chilies, drained
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. While the oven is preheating, cook the rice by placing 2 cups chicken broth into a saucepan. Bring to boil. Add in 1 cup Jasmine Rice. Bring back to boil. Stir. Lower heat to simmer. Cover with lid and simmer for 15 minutes or until done.
3. Remove 2 cups of this freshly cooked rice and set aside.
4. In a medium skillet, sauté the onion in the butter until golden.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the hot rice, sour cream, cottage cheese, crumbled bay leaf, salt, pepper and cumin.
6. Mix well.
7. Into a lightly greased 8 by 8 inch baking dish, layer half the rice mixture in the bottom and then half the drained chilies.
8. Sprinkle half the cheese.
9. Layer the remainder of the rice, the remainder of the chilies and the remainder of the cheese.
10. Bake uncovered at 375° for 25 minutes, until bubbly and hot.
11. Serve with chips or flour tortillas or use as a filler for tacos or burritos or just serve as a side.