KENTUCKY BUTTER CAKE
For the cake:
1 ¾ cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla or rum extract
4 eggs, room temperature
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoons buttermilk
For the Sauce:
¾ cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
3 Tablespoons water
1-2 teaspoons vanilla or rum extract
For the Garnish:
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Generously grease and lightly flour 12 cup Bundt pan.
3. In a large bowl, combine the sugar and butter; beat well with an electric mixer.
4. Add in the vanilla and eggs; blend well.
5. Add in all remaining cake batter ingredients; blend at low speed until moistened, then beat for 3 minutes at medium speed.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
7. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
8. 20 minutes before the cake is done, combine the sauce ingredients into a small saucepan.
9. Cook the sauce over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for those 20 minutes, until the butter melts and sugar dissolves. DO NOT BOIL.
10. As soon as you remove the cake from the oven pierce it with a long-tined fork or wooden skewer. Pierce the cake about 10-12 times.
Be careful not to make your piercings go all the way through the cake.
11. Slowly pour the hot sauce over the warm cake.
12. Let it stand for 10-15 minutes or until sauce is absorbed.
13. Invert cake onto a serving plate and allow it to completely cool.
14. Just before serving, sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar.
If desired, also serve it with some whipped cream.