ITALIAN BEAN AND PASTA STEW
Makes 3 quarts
1 Tablespoon oil
½ cup carrots, thinly sliced
1 cup onion, chopped
½ cup celery, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (9 oz.) package frozen baby lima beans
½ cup dried lentils
6-7 cups beef broth
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
½ cup uncooked orzo
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons sugar
1. Heat the oil in a 3 quart saucepan over a medium-high heat until hot.
2. Add in the carrots, onion, celery and garlic; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
3. Add in the lima beans, lentils, and broth.
4. Bring the stew up to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
6. Stir in the diced tomatoes, orzo, Italian seasoning and sugar.
7. Return the stew back up to a boil.
8. Reduce the heat and simmer for another 15 minutes or until lentils and orzo are tender, stirring occasionally.