Makes 52 individual cookies or
26 sandwich cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
Strawberry or raspberry or your favorite flavor of jam
1. In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter, heavy cream, vanilla, and flour until smooth and thoroughly combined.
2. Form dough into a ball. Wrap in waxed paper; refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. Divide dough into 4 parts; keep each part refrigerated until ready to roll out.
4. Preheat oven to 375°.
5. On well floured surface, roll dough, one part at a time, to 1/8 inch thick.
6. Cut out cookies with a 1 ½ inch round cookie cutter.
7. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
8. Reroll trimmings, and cut.
9. Prick surface of each cookie 3 times with fork.
10. Sprinkle with sugar.
11. Bake until puffy and delicately browned-- about 8 or 9 minutes.
12.Remove to wire rack; cool.
13. Just before serving, put 2 cookies together, sandwich-fashion, with
about 1 teaspoon jam in the middle.