LAYERED CABBAGE DINNER
1 head of cabbage (about 4 pounds)
1 onion chopped
2 pounds ground beef
1 pound bulk sausage
2 cups water
2 chicken flavored bouillon cubes
1 cup uncooked white rice
Salt and pepper
3 ½ cups reserved cabbage water
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Remove the core from cabbage.
3. Coarsely chop the cabbage.
4. Place the cabbage into a large stock pot or spaghetti pot.
5. Cover the cabbage with water and yet you also want to leave room for boiling, salt well.
6. Cook over high heat for about 35 minutes, from onset of heat, or until the cabbage leaves are soft.
7. Remove the cabbage leaves from the water with a slotted spoon and place them into a colander to drain.
8. Save the cabbage water.
9. Brown the ground beef and sausage in a skillet.
10. Add in the chopped onion and continue to brown until onions are softened.
11. In a medium saucepan, bring the 2 cups water and the bouillon cubes to a boil.
12. Add in the rice and bring it back to a boil.
14. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover with a lid.
15. Cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and you see ‘termite holes’.
16. Season with salt and pepper.
17. In a medium bowl or pitcher, mix together the tomato soup and 3 ½ cups reserved cabbage water. Set aside.
18. Now for the assembly:
19. Place a thin layer of cabbage leaves into the bottom of a roaster pan or a 3-4 quart oven proof stock pot.
20. Cover the cabbage leaves with a layer of the browned meat, using half the meat.
21. Then make a layer of rice on top of the meat, using half the rice.
22. Make another layer of the cabbage leaves, using most of the remaining leaves.
23. Make another layer of browned meat, using the rest of the meat.
24. And then make another layer of rice, using the rest of the rice.
25. Place a thin layer of cabbage on top of it all, using the rest of the cabbage leaves.
26. Pour the soup over it all.
27. Do not stir.
28. Cover and Bake at 375° for 45 minutes.