VANILLA CAFE AU LAIT
1 1/2 cups half and half
1 1/2 cups whole milk, or your preferred type
5 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups hot, strong brewed coffee
1. Combine the half and half, milk, sugar and vanilla in a medium saucepan.
2. Heat over a low heat until the milk begins to steam.
3. Steam the milk for another 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4. Whisk the steamed milk for 1 minute before serving to make frothy.
5. Fill each mug with 3/4 cup of hot coffee and 3/4 cup milk mixture.
6. Serve immediately.
7. For variety, during the holidays, add 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice to the steamed milk before serving.